Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sunday Chat

Sisters,
I sincerely apologize to all of you and to Sister Dunaway for not getting this message out earlier this week. It is a beautiful note and I hope that you will take a moment to read her message in spite of my delinquency. ~Sister Wright]

Dear Relief Society Sisters,

Thank you to Kristi Atkinson for our November newsletter - it is attached. These darker, rainy days seem to invite time to be still and ponder. Today I have been pondering on Brother Hall's comparison of the Lord helping the Iron Curtain to fall so that the gospel could be preached in those countries to His ability to help the iron curtains in our own lives to come down so that the gospel will touch our hearts and we can be healed by its message as well. It's interesting to think about the promise made that the gospel will be preached to all countries, but that many doubted that it could happen within our lifetimes. I thought about what it means to trust in our Heavenly Father and His word and to move forward with faith and confidence whether his promises happen this week, this year, in our lifetime or in another's. I, like you, have iron curtains in my life - areas where it feels like not much progress is being made, areas where my heart still needs some softening and my mind still needs some opening and my will still needs some strengthening. So, how do we move forward with confidence, wanting so much to see the walls come down and the Spirit enter?
After relistening to Elder Scott's talk from conference this afternoon, a couple of ideas stuck with me. First, he says, "Our Father expects you to learn how to obtain that divine help by exercising faith in Him and His Son, Jesus Christ. Were you to receive inspired guidance just for the asking, you would become weak and ever more dependent on Them. They know that essential personal growth will come as you struggle to learn how to be led by the Spirit." This helps me understand why the curtains don't fall with just one prayer, or even a series of them. I can also see that I would become dependent on Them to solve everything for me (which in a way they do anyway, but they want me to gain some strength in the process. Think of Nephi - the Lord did solve the issue of obtaining the brass plates for him, but only after he acted obediently and moved forward.) The point of this life is to grow in faith as we apply our faith to our challenging situations. So, we pray, we ask in faith, and then we live with faith, obeying the commandments and putting ourselves in a position to be taught more. Elder Scott warns, "I believe that you can leave the most precious personal direction of the Spirit unheard because you do not respond to, record, and apply the first promptings that come to you." I know I have the weakness of wanting Him to move faster in helping me than I am doing in applying the principles the Spirit has already taught me.
When we talk of having the Spirit in our lives we are talking of having the Gift of the Holy Ghost guiding us. Elder Bednar says, "Obedience opens the door to the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost." (Things as They Really Are) He then reminds us from Mormon 9:27, "Hearken unto the words of the Lord, and ask the Father in the name of Jesus for what things soever ye shall stand in need. Doubt not, but be believing, and begin as in times of old, and come unto the Lord with all your heart, and work out your own salvation with fear and trembling before him." Sisters, we can turn to our Father in Heaven for all things in our lives - for the iron curtains we hope to bring down and for the direction we hope to receive. Even if the walls seem thick and impossible to move, we must remember that with God, "nothing shall be impossible." (Luke 1:37) Pray and ask what you need to do. Write down the inspiration you receive. Follow the guidance. Doubt not, and pray for further guidance. When guidance is given, thank Him for the great love he shows us, and do it. We can move forward with faith, which implies with confidence, knowing that whether His word is fulfilled today, tomorrow, or at some future point it will come to pass. Although at times it may feel like we are stumbling forward, He is always at our side.
Love, Sister Dunaway

No comments:

Post a Comment